Alicia S. Gutiérrez
from Mexicana, Journal of MEPSI, October 1989
compiled by Jaime Benavides
 Matamoros was originally known as Congregación del Refugio. It changed its name on January 28, 1823, the date of the actual founding of the city, with 3860 Spaniards and indians. There were Englixh, French and Irish merchants as well as Americans. Fort Taylor was built across the Rio Grande river in 1846 and renamed Fort Brown the same year. Later Brownsville was founded. It served as a base of U.S. Operations in the Mexican War.